Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Save our rhinos


“Two rhinos were found dead and mutilated at the Shingalana Lion and Rhino Game Reserve in Haartebees, North West, on Sunday”, the reserve said. The two men thought to be responsible have been released on R1, 500 bail. REALLY???

 

It saddens me to think that one day my future children or their children will not get to see a rhino in its natural habitat, if at all. There are so many save the rhino campaigns and programmes going on out there and still it feels like we are taking on step forward and two steps back.

In my opinion, I don’t think the government is putting enough to this cause. In fact, from what I see, they have no interest, except to find new ways to get more money from us (I can’t believe the e-tolling system is back on the table after it was justifiably scrapped!) (Read this), finding new and frankly ridiculous ways to spend it (How do u renovated a home for R200million amidst all this socioeconomic turmoil?) (Read this) and to top it all off, disband a task team that was especially established for this very cause (Read this) ??? (I could go on :( ) It really makes me sick to my stomach to see those charged with the governance of our country not playing a big enough role in preserving our heritage.
                                                                       source

I will continue to help where I can and hope that the tiny difference everyone who is making an effort out there is making will cause a ripple effect that will hopefully bring this to a stop.

2 comments:

  1. Awww...that really is sad. I am glad there are people like you who try to do their part in helping preserve these animals in their natural habitat. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is sad! Praying for something the give:(.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo