Thursday, 21 February 2013

V-Day

Three stories regarding gender-based violence have recently "shocked" the world: the rape and mutilation of 23-year-old Indian Jyoti Singh Pandey on a public bus in New Dehli, the rape and disembowelment of 17-year-old South African Anene Booysen in a small 'dorp' near Cape Town, and the killing of 29-year-old South African Reeva Steenkamp in her boyfriend's luxury residence in Pretoria. Read more here.

I consider myself very lucky to be with such a loving and caring man. He may not be into valentines day (he hates it :-( ), but because he loves me, he went out of his way to get me a single rose and a box  of my favourite chocolates as he does every year.



But love shouldn't be about luck. In fact, walking down the street and getting home safe shouldn't be about luck. But the story the world wide statistics tell, is that as a woman, if you haven't experienced some form of gender based violence, you a very lucky. So I set aside some time to rise up shout and dance with the world in a global movement against the abuse of women and girls on V-Day.


We have had enough!!!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good v-day.

    You are so right about violence against women. It is a right to NOT experience violence...not luck! It breaks my heart to read these stories about these women's senseless deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this stories I was so mad. I can't even really express with words what I felt/feel. You are completely right.

    I wish I were with you that day saying we have had enough too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really made me sad. You are so right, violence against women has to end.

    Glad you had a great valentine's day celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great that women are uniting to rise up against violence. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such awesome way to raise awareness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great way to raise awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting those stories and raising awareness! Glad you had a great day and Ferrer Rocher are my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo