Wednesday, 20 March 2013

The proposal...and attempts before

I was living and working in Johannesburg at the time. One weekend a month I'd travel 1000km to visit my man, but that just wasn't enough. It was the longest and most stressful 10months of my life. Battling with traffic every morning and evening to get to and from a job I really hated. It had nothing to do with what I studied and it just wasn't challenging. Same thing every single day. And it was such a cut throat industry with everyone trying to get ahead of the next person at what ever cost. So September 2009 after 10 months of living in Joburg I decided to move back to the little student town with my then boyfriend.

The first sign I missed.

My boyfriend insisted on driving all the way up to Joburg to pick me up. I mean really, that's an insane amount of driving for one person and with the timing he would have had to close down his restaurant for a couple of days, which he did. It would have been so much easier for me to just catch a 2hour flight instead. But I really missed him and a road trip just the two of us sounded like a whole lotta fun.

The second sign I missed.

When he arrived in Joburg, we met up for a quick "hi" before he checked into his BnB. He had a suit in his car. A SUIT. My husband hates suits, and I knew this cause he'd said it enough time to have been weirded out, but I was just so happy to see him and seriously wanted to get outta there, so the suit, well it meant nothing.

What I didn't miss.

He called to say he was taking me out for dinner and he wanted me to dress formal. You must understand, my hubby it a sneakers and shorts kinda guy. It's taken years to get him to add a few formal shirts, pants and shoes to his wardrobe, but I know there will never ever be a tie (I nearly passed out in shock when I saw him wearing one on our wedding day, but best believe it doesn't exist anymore). I digress. The point is, it was so out of character, I thought "wow he's going big, what if he proposes". Well he didn't. And I thought OMW, why is he being so wierd then, I mean a suit?!? Anywhoo, since nothing happened, I let the suit thing go.

The third thing I missed.

The next day, on our drive back, we stopped to spend the night in a little town, just about half way between home an Joburg. We found a nice restaurant but the liquor laws in that town were so lame, they couldn't serve us a bottle of wine because it was after 6pm. I wasn't too bothered, but my hubs insisted he wanted it to be special since "he hadn't seen me in so long". He had a chat with the manager and hey presto, we had a nice bottle of vino (don't even want to know how that went down).

 We took it back to our room ( think that may have been part of the deal) and had room service instead. It was so cute and romantic, a "picnic" in bed. I was so spent though, and with a couple of glasses of wine, I fell asleep before I finished eating.

The forth thing I missed.

The next day we were on the road again. We left really late for some reason and were only set to arrive that evening. So we decided to stop at our favourite restaurant for dinner before heading home. Just before getting our dessert my hubs suggested I wash my hands???? Like seriously though?!? Well in his defence, I used to be a bit of a germophobe and washed my hands after every half hour or after touching anything that could be germy, but he hardly encouraged it. I got up anyways.

 The proposal.

We had our dessert and headed out for our usual walk on the beach after every meal we have there. We talked and laughed, and then bammm, he dropped on one knee and right there on the beautiful starry evening of the 13th in September 2009, my Husband asked me to marry him.

He'd wanted to propose in Joburg the night he dressed up in a suit, but the many restaurants we checked out and the one we eventually chose, just wasn't good enough for him.

He'd wanted to propose while we had our picnic in bed the night before, but I fell asleep before the moment was just right.

He'd even wanted to put the ring in my desert, but he thought I might choke on it (good call).

So the beach it was, and that just made our walks on the beach after dinner ritual that much more special.

In case you are wondering, I said YES :).


{source}






10 comments:

  1. Oh my, LOVE this! Love how you wrote it too with all the "things you missed". What a sweet proposal story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! I absolutely loved how you documented it! I love that he went out of his comfort zone for you too :)

    We got engaged 9.12.08. September is a good month to get engaged! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute recount of the events. Really sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome post! Waiting for the right moment is key!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, love me a good proposal story. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, I proposal stories!! I was dying over the suit thing - that happened to me too I saw my bf packing his suitcase and wondered why he was packing his best suit for a trip home to visit family for the holidays yet I didn't clue in, lol. The not putting it in your desert thing made me laugh too, that's something I can totally see happening (to anyone) it's just not a good place to hide a ring!!

    thanks for sharing your story :)

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love proposal stories too. So sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea this is the backdrop to that ring of yours...it's a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a sweet story. I want mine to be a surprise, so I'm going to intentionally miss all the signs, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo