Wednesday, 8 May 2013

I could have been arrested

Back in 2009, when Hubs and I had just gotten engaged, we decided that we were going to go and spend Christmas in Germany. I was super excited because the last time I had left the continent was when I was a tiny tot, so this was huge for me. I had to go to a wedding in Zimbabwe prior to our departure and since I had to travel alone for that, my hubby equipped me with multiple weapons of self defence. Lol. Really though, ever since hubs and I started dating, every time I went out for drinks with friends, went to town alone etc., he would make sure I had something I could use in self defence in case of an attack.
So in my handbag I had a fully charged taser, a hand pokey key ring thing (I have no idea what its called, but I know how to use it) and pepper spray (the crazy kind that can be used from a distance).


same one I had

Source
Anyways, as soon as I arrived back in SA I met the Hubs at the airport just in time to check in and board the plane. So before boarding my hand bag went through the scanner and a lady asked to have a look inside and soon as she was done gave it back...fast forward...we are in the flight and have been for a few hours, I dig through my bag and what do I see. I decided that I'd get rid of these items on transit, but I completely forgot and once again, my bag was scanned and no one said anything. While we were in Germany, on Christmas day, the media was abuzz with the Underwear Bomber story. Boy was I glad that didn't happen just before we left because with all the travelling I had to do before leaving, I would have missed the news, and I think I would have gotten into some serious trouble. Granted on our way back home security was so much tighter and I was so glad my "devises" were safely tucked away in my suitcase. Next time, I will definitely remember to check my handbag.




3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I remember when we traveled to Ghana my mom had scissors in her purse. They threw it away and she was so upset. To this day she says she hasn't found a scissor quite like that one.

    I like that hubby keeps you stocked with weapons, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yikes! I love that your husband wants to be safe. This is pretty funny (sort of scary), but mostly funny though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! oh my word! Can't believe they didn't catch those before they let you on the flight! so glad you weren't arrested ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo