Friday, 10 May 2013

Jumping to my death

That's what it felt like jumping of the highest bridge bunjee in the world. I like to tell people "Oh, that, it was nothing really" or  " what an absolute blast, I'd do it again in a heart beat". But actually, it wasn't nothing, I didn't enjoy the actual jump and given the chance, I doubt I'll happily do that again.

I can't even remember what or who put the idea in my head but as soon as I found out hubby and I's after-fest 2008 holidays were going to be in Tsitsikama, I had to, had to jump. The morning of the jump I was so nervous I didn't eat breakfast. And every time I thought about the jump my heart would start racing. We arrived at the Bloukrans Bridge, I paid, got weighed and there was no turning back (well unless I was fine with donating a chunk of money I could have spent elsewhere).

Source


And so the walk to my plunge began. The little bridge thing to get to the actually jumping point didn't feel sturdy to me, and every time I took a step, I could feel it sway a bit. It was made of this netty type thing and you could see the river at the bottom. I could hear my hubs chuckle behind me (I was visible shaking) and he said I could always turn back if I want! Me? Turn back? Ha!

We got there, got some safety instructions and bam the rules where, the lightest (body weight) goes first and guess who that was...

49kgs Jumper 19 to book.


I felt sick to my stomach. The guy prepping me was saying a whole lotta stuff to me, but I didn't hear a word. You would never believe how scared I was looking at this pic.

 
 


And then it was time. I stood at the edge of the bridge, and I remember saying "I don't think I want to do this" and either they get that all the time and totally ignore you unless you say you REALLY DON"T WANT TO, or I didn't say it loud enough.

Can you see the fear now????


Either way I felt my feet lift off the platform and I can't even say I jumped myself (I may have gotten a bit of a nudge), but I definitely didn't resist...and you know, maybe there wasn't a nudge, but that didn't matter, I was off the platform and there was no going back...yikes!!!


Yeah I may have screamed...I don't remember


 I could feel my stomach, intestines, liver, lungs...all of it, I could feel some sorta shift in there and it didn't feel good, and I could seriously see the Pearly Gates...ok not really but I was sure I was about to.


Weeeeeeeeeeee



eeeeeeeee



eeeeeeeeeee




And then it was all over!

It was then that I felt this really crazy realise. I was on a freakin' high...yes AFTER the jump! It was over but I felt great. I wanted to jump up and down screaming "I DID IT, I DID IT" (I know I didn't really do it all on my own, but I was sure glad for that little nudge!). I guess it was all the adrenaline. It felt good.












 Hubby though, didn't look so good. He didn't jump, but he looked so pale after my jump.

The group I jumped with - I was still on a high even after all the others jumped.


And so even tough I'm afraid of heights, and I will probably feel a little sick and want to change my mind. I have decided that my sky dive will be in October of this year after my finals in September....And so it shall be!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! You are brave! Way to go!!! My sister has done it and I promised to as well but I think I am too chicken at this point to even attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's awesome. You are so brave. That moment right before you jump....wow. I'd want to back out! I haven't tried that one yet. I did go skydiving but it was so scary that I don't want to do it again and now I'm scared to try anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're waaaay braver than I am - that's so awesome you did that! Would you ever skydive from a plane?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the pictures. that's great you did it. so proud of you. i would like to try jumping to overcome some of my fears

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are so brave!!!!!! Such great photos to capture it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just wow, so brave of you. Good thing you got that documented. You go girl.

    I went sky diving once and I will never do it again. I almost p**** my pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um you are brave! I could never do it. So afraid!

    Sean loved jumping off anything and I just watch and freak out.

    I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ummmmm, I almost had a heart attack looking at your pictures from the jump. I could NOT do that!!! congrats on not chickening out, I know I would have!! now that you've done it you can say you've done it and never do it again. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! That looked scary, but exciting. I'm skydiving in a couple of weeks with the boyfriend. If I like it, I may bungee jump. Or should it be the other way around?? Congrats girl! Doing something like that should definitely make you feel that you have nothing to be afraid of!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo