Thursday, 17 October 2013

Acquaintances, friends then strangers


Friends are the family you choose, and no matter how much time passes between seeing and speaking, when you meet, it’s like you were never apart. But people  grow and change, and  sometimes one’s life experiences, hardships and perhaps new life styles can leave the “past” as the only “common interest” friends have.

I’ve personally been battling with this because I’m your typical fairy-tale-happily-ever-after-friends-forever kinda girl. I invest so much in relationships with friends, that I would walk on hot coal for those I hold dear, no matter how much time passes between seeing or speaking to them. And as with most family and friends I grew up with in Zimbabwe, we are all scattered all over the world and lots of time passes between meetings and chats. And with living in a small town in the middle of nowhere (which I love by the way), were people grew up together and are in clique type friendships, it tends to get lonely. But I comfort myself in that I have strong bonds with women that no matter what, I can always count on them.

But sadly, since my primary and high school days, some friends have “fallen of the friendship wagon” for various reasons. In as much as that sucks, it will happen throughout my life time. And I try and remind myself that it’s part of life and sometimes people are in your life for a season and a purpose.

It still sucks though, but all the more reason to cherish and remind these awesome people how much I truly appreciate them.
 
  
On another, less intense note, I’m back from an unintentional hiatus. Oh how I’ve missed my little blog. But I’ve tried to keep up with all my fave blogs, so not all was down and out on this end. Please tell me someone out there missed my musings…Yes? No? Well either way, don’t forget to remind the friends in your life how much you appreciate them.
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about having friends and seeing relationships come and go. I have a few of those but I also know that if they are important friends, distance or time doesn't change that. I have some friends I don't talk to for months but the minute we get on the phone, its like we just talked the day before because we have so much to catch up on.

    I do agree that we need to truly cherish our friendships. Its important.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you know i missed you, haha ;)

    i know exactly what you're talking about. it is hard to let go of friendships that you truly thought were going to be lifetime friendships but when it's time to let go, you know. it gets a lot easier when you get older and realize that some people were only meant to be a seasonal friendship. but it is true, the ones that do remain you treasure them just a bit more.

    welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be very sad to see people pass in and then out of your life but you are right. It really is just part of life. People change. People move. People drift. And it's hard to see others have those lifelong friendships intact when you don't. Welcome back to blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY, you are back, good seeing you back around these parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed ya girlie! Glad you are back. I totally understand where you are coming from with the friendships. As we get older it gets harder and harder to make really good friends. Add to that living far away from the friends you grew up with in an area where people seem to be cliquish...it can be depressing. Keep your head up though, you have friends all over the world that you can count on for anything and that is worth its weight in Gold!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...come on, drop me a note :) xoxo